Semester at Sea invites you on a voyage to the most unique floating campus in the world! Semester at Sea passenger ship’s classroom brings students together from around the world in a shipboard setting.
This unique study abroad program offers students the chance to visit 10+ countries on 2-3 continents while earning 12-15 college credit. Students will also make lifelong friendships and create memories.
Exclusive Scholarship Opportunity of $20K for Fall 2024!
HBCU students who would like to sail on Semester at Sea’s Fall 2024 voyage are encouraged apply for the HBCU research fellowship. Each of the five eligible students can receive a scholarship worth $20,000 each. Fellows must attend a seminar in which they present their research idea and, with the help of our Communications team, write three (3) blog posts throughout their journey so we can track the progress of their project. Find out more about this scholarship.
Why should you apply for the Fall 2023 voyager program? Phylicia, a Fall 2023 voyager, HBCU scholar, shares her experience.
You should apply if you love HBCUs – your HBCU, or others around the globe! Everyone should do Semester at Sea. It offers an experience that is unlike any other school, job, internship or externship. “Semester at Sea is perfect for that.” – Phylicia NC A&T
Semester at Sea is open year-round and accepts applications on a rolling schedule. We encourage traditional undergraduate students to gain admission by following the five simple steps below:
- Contact your Admissions Counselor to help you guide and support throughout the admissions procedure.
- Apply Online Pay the $75 non-refundable application fees to begin the review process. **If you submit your application by December 15, 2023, you can use the code HBCUBuzz to waive your $75 non-refundable application fee.
- Accepted? Pay $1,000 Refundable Deposit to Reserve Your Cabin for the Cruise. The deposit will be credited to your program fees and is fully refundable until the last payment deadline. This is usually 90 days prior to your departure.
- Consider Your Funding Options. Around 60% of voyagers get some form of financial assistance. It is not necessary to receive financial aid at your home institution to qualify for a grant from Semester at Sea.
- Get to Know Your Shipmates. Start Packing. Use #semesteratsea to connect with SAS alumni and other future voyagers on social media.
SAS welcomes learners of all ages, including students in their gap years, undergraduate students and recent college graduates, who meet the requirements for admission. SAS’s Lifelong Learning program is also open to non-student adult travelers over 30 years old.
Find out more about Semester on Sea.